Thursday, October 2, 2014

Back to Homeschool

Back to school for many children means back to homeschool for mine.  We used to school year round so that we didn't lose ground over the summer.  But, when our teen boys threatened mutiny, I decided a break might be a good thing.

In late August,  our daughter and I began pulling together our plan for the school year.  She has helped me school the boys since she married 2 years ago.  She saw our now 19 1/2 year old through graduation and has been schooling our youngest, 15.  When I decided to leave work in early June, I couldn't wait to get back to schooling.  

We're non traditionalists when it comes to our school days.  I believe in approaching school like I try to approach life in general - with simplicity, gentleness, and flexibility.  We've never had rigid schedules and our children have never been graded or taken tests.  Our philosophy has been more about delight-driven learning, led after the basics of the 3 Rs into whatever our delight-driven activity and subject children wish to study at the time.  It's worked well for us, and I'm raising kids who love to learn.  That was my goal all along.  

No comments:

Post a Comment